Sunday, March 31, 2013

LeftoverLand

What up Dorks? 

I seriously mean that as a term of endearment. Being a Disney Dork is a great thing. In fact I hear there is a secret club that calls themselves The Disney Dorks. Maybe it's like Club 33! Anyway, My good friend Rossco asked if he could contribute some of his magic to the blog and I said "Of course!" 

So without further adieu, I present guest contributor, hockey fan, bassist, hair stylist type guy, and self proclaimed Dork, Rossco SoleTrain, with... LeftoverLand(or, The Land Before Time)... I added that last part ;)

-J


   There are bits of old Disneyland sprinkled throughout the park. One of my favorite things to do at DL is to find random old shit the Imagineers either let rot or configured the shit into something brand new. This post I will be focusing on 4 of my favorite pieces of what is still leftover! yay! 

1) Mine Train through Natures Wonderland
   I love seeing chunks of this one around Big Thunder. From the tunnels next to the Beaver Vally pond to the train tracks rotting on Tom Sawyers Pirate (weirdo.not.thought.out.well.mash-up) ...Island. Pieces from this ride are able to stand out while fitting right into Frontierland. Most people wouldn't think something else used to reside in the spot. SHIT! Even my favorite part of Big Thunder, Rainbow Ridge was a part of that ride! Next time you are walking though Frontierland look out for old tracks scatted around by Big Thunder and the Rivers of America.

2) Skyway through the Matterhorn Mountain
  Seeing these holes on on either side of the mountain takes me back to being a little turd riding in one of those bad ass Skyway buckets. I wish Disney would bring back the Skyway! Riding through the Matterhorn was a pretty special treat. Yeah i know that they would have to put up some extra bars to keep the crazy people caged up but I think it could be easily redone! It is just a cool way to get back and forth from Fantasyland and Tomorrowland! For shit sake they stations are still there! which brings us to....


  Over by the exit of the Casey Junior Train there is a set of steps (blocked off) that lead to a mysterious wooden building basically covered up by overgrown trees. Here lies the old Skyway Station. I tried to find this one on my own for a few years but I would either be too distracted by the awesome surrounding me or I was dodging a stupid person with a stroller...probably dodging. Well my last DL trip my brother 'n sister 'n sister, Evil Genius, Future Supreme Leader and The Pesk all pointed it out for me! So I just had to take a picture of me (DildoBoy pictured above) standing next to it! Weee! ... I came across this video on the YouTube a few years back and have been partially obsessed with this Station ever since...video gets good about a minute or so into it.

 



pulled from flikr miehana
photo jacked from google...taken by Jon Fiedler
  Between The exits of the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise is an awesome couples restroom...and what used to be the Tahitian Terrace restaurant. The place used to be cool as fuck and now it has been reduced to a second rate Aladdin meet and greet..woof! You can still go back there sometimes and pretend you are in Tahiti and eatin' on some killer Broiled Teriyaki Steak while checkin' out some Polynesian Princess show...Real Thug Type Shit. Here is a video of the dinner show in all its glory!
This is my Tradition Tahitian Dance and I'm singing the Tahitian Mating song.
  
  
  Wow...all of that vintage cool makes me wanna take a trip with Doc and Marty in the Delorean and go back to the 60's! Aaannnnnddd back to the future (I'mAdork), there is a TON of random places where the old Disneyland shines through. Sooooo many...I think I'm gonna make this Part 1...unless the Evil Genius banishes me to Fairyland.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Rossco! Great post! There is a lot of that kind of hidden stuff around the park. I look forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sir! I will do my best for part Deuce!

    ReplyDelete