Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring In The Park... or, One Hit Wonderful

What is goin' on Dorks?

I am writing this on Bat Day so right now there is a plethera of kids running around wearing black. Nightmare Before Christmas stuff is flying off the shelves left and right. Fun fact: They have to put one less person on the Space Mountain trains because of the vast weight of eyeliner. *rim shot noise* I joke but Bat Day is waaaaaay more tolerable than Dapper Day.

I just spent three days in the park... well, two and a half days... okay, two days and two hours, the rest of the missing day was spent at an Iron Man Marathon in Downtown Disney. A little bit of everything happened. Saw a celebrity... Oh! Two! I saw two celebrities! Ate good food, had great cocktails, went to an AP event, saw Iron Man 3, took a MouseWait recommendation, proved there is no God, and went on some rides. 

FSL had a big meeting on Thursday in the OC, so we decided to go to the park on Wednesday, spend the night and then she would be closer to her meeting and I would get to hang out solo in the park and then we would meet up for dinner and World of Color. We got a room at Paradise Pier. Stay number two was just as good as the first. I feel comfortable saying that it is worth a looking into if you are planning a trip and want to stay at the resort. The prices are usually lower, the location is pretty good, and the rooms are nice. The cheapest price for available rooms was on the "Concierge Level" which is a fancy way of saying they are going to charge you a little more for a few special amenities. Not only is your room key gold(pretty fancy), but you get access to the Beachcomber Club where you can get complimentary snacks or a continental breakfast AND they have a concierge right in the room to help you with whatever you may need. Sound awesome?! Meh. It was cool do be able to grab a few cookies or a soda, but over all it didn't seem worth it. We stopped in to the Beachcomber Club to check it out and watched a lady stuff ten cokes in her bag before she left... I pretended to be shocked and appalled, but really, I was jealous that I didn't think about it before her.

First of all Wednesday was hot. Like... too hot. Talking River Styx hot(I am just assuming that it hot, right?) We walked to Disneyland first. Right when we got in, Snow White and Cinderella were walking out for a little picture time... Did I get a GIF of it? Fuck yes I did!

Here is my remix version of it!
 And here is some creeper ogling Cinderella's royal bosom...
Our plan was to bounce from shady area to shady area, but that didn't last too long, it quickly changed to bouncing from air conditioned attraction to air conditioned attraction. The park wasn't too crowded at the time, but it quickly picked up.

Stopped at Westward Ho for some pin action and to see our friend Connie was working. After that, we dodged strollers and annoying ass slow people to get Fastpasses for Splash Mountain. In case you missed it in a previous post(thanks for not reading it jerks), the queue for Splash is down right chilly in some places... Plus it's a water ride. To kill the time before our Fastpass time we went to Haunted Mansion another great ride on a hot day. The queue is mostly in the shade, and the temp on the ride is about 3 degrees above balls ass cold. FYI... Pirates is also a cool ride... and it's pretty long.

FSL and I decided to walk over to Fantasyland to ride Pinocchio but only got as far as the Golden Horseshoe. Great air conditioning AND ice cream! We stayed to watch Billy Hill and The Hillbillies. The group was super talented! They were great! I am a sucker for a good fiddle. If you haven't seen them, you need to. Orange Blossom Special + low temp = awesome

Headed back to Splash Mountain. Fastpass is the way to go. The "stand by" line was fifty five minutes but you know how long we waited? About five. Back seated the ride, barely got wet, I have a system... the girl in the front of our log sounded like a member of the Lollipop Guild and she shrieked and swore her way to a major soaking... twas hilarious...

Went over to DCA after that. Question for anyone out there *cough* @DisneyProject I am lookin' at you *cough* On the vertical sign at the Hyperion Theater, why is the "I" lowercase?
Asked some CM's and they didn't know. Our possible theories that we came up with are, 1. It's just the way the font is. 2. Even though it has a dot over it, it still looks like a capital, maybe it's a hyphen. 3. We are asking too many questions and an unmarked van is going to pull up and some Oswalds are going to drag us away to out deaths, which, in Disneyland, is forcing us to ride Small World over and over again.
Tower of Terror
Is it me or in the unzoomed picture does it look like there is a face in profile wearing sunglasses in the grey part just under the W? There I go asking questions again... Conspiracies abound!

Went to Cove to get a cocktail and a snack before out Carthay reservations. The A-team was there. Tanya, who makes some... potent drinks(I recommend her Crown Smash. It is perfect on a hot day),Windsor who makes fantastic cocktails(currently my favorite drink is the Hunny Badger which has Tennessee Honey, Goldschlager, muddled serrano peppers, a dash of Tabasco(maybe) and some other magic) and Ali, who is a crack up! Somewhere along the line. Windsor said she was not going to be at work the next day because she got tickets to the Iron Man Marathon at the AMC in Downtown Disney. Awesome, right? Well, my wife knew I was going to be solo most of the day so she got me a ticket to the Marathon too(more on that in my next post). While FSL and I were sitting  a couple sat down near us. First thing I noticed was a red bow in her hair, and a sweet ass pompadour on the guy(now if I had a good head of hair, I would totally have a pomp). I noticed he was wearing a Reel Big Fish wristband(yes they are still around! The Summer of Ska was no joke!). FSL(that's my wife, the Future Supreme Leader for those of you just joining us) asked if was indeed a RBF wristband and he said "Yes." I told him that was one of my favorite bands and I had seen them at least ten times. I was trying to fit the word wristband in at least one more time for the trifecta... but it sounded forced... Yeah, I know, more forced than it does using it twice...

Here is their hit... Keep in mind... It was the 90's
Well, the girl said, "Don't you recognize him?" And he said he was in Suburban Legends!!! Let that sink in... I was sitting at Cove Bar with Brian Klemm! Now, there may be a few of you who are saying, WHO? But don't worry I won't hold it against you... for too long. Brian is the guitarist for Suburban Legends(a great live show!)and had a stint with Big D and The Kids Table(great ska from Boston) and he was on the cover of the RBF album Fame, Fortune, Fornication. Here is SL playing Tomorrowland Terrace playing one of my favorites...

We talked ska, and touring and Disneyland and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't remember(hope I didn't say anything stupid). His friend Megan, was possibly one of the nicest people I have meet at Disneyland(and she is a Disney Dork like us!). They were really cool and down to earth. Hopefully we will stumble across them at Cove Bar again sometime.

Me and Brian Klemm
I am not real proud of the cheesy thumbs up I pulled, in my head I looked much cooler... but instead I look like the freeze frame at the end of a local car dealership commercial where I just got a great deal from Cal Worthington... and his dog Spot... which was a tiger... Oh and his shirt, with the cat... was given to him by his bestie Aaron Barrett of the Reel Big Fish... Being that I am a scientist and evil AND a genius, my best friend is... obviously, Jesus, and the only thing that could make the Son of God cooler is if he had a pompadour and sang in a ska band...

After a long day in the sun, FSL wasn't feeling well so we skipped out on those wonderful balls of cheesy goodness at Carthay and went back to the room...

I know how some of you jerks don't like to read... or is it can't read? Huh...  So, I am going to cut this off right here and I will continue tomorrow with the Iron Man Marathon, our second celebrity sighting and an AP event. Can you handle the wait? CAN YOU?!?

-J

P.S. I do feel compelled to say that Jesus is not my actual best friend, he was a little too much of a show off... I get it! You turned the water into wine. Oh, the heal the leper thing again? Haven't seen that like a million times before... and where did you find a leper?




2 comments: