Sunday, May 25, 2014

Almost Halfway or... Real or Bullshit Part 5

Good morning... or afternoon... or evening... I guess it all depends on when you are reading this... Let's try it this way...

Good whatever-time-you-are-reading-this Dorks!

This here is the almost half way point of our incredible journey through the realm of what silly things about Disney you may or may not know... To honor this auspicious day I am... err... I MAY be doing some proofreading, but no guarantees... and when I say "no guarantees", I really mean no...

Ready? Let's get weird!

#21 If you hate crowds, go in January.

There may have been a point in time when that was true. If you have been to Disneyland lately, you have come to notice that THERE ARE NEVER ANY DAYS WHERE THERE NO CROWDS! Oh my god! It's so annoying! I want yell at all the slow people blocking the walkways, "Do you know who I am?!" But no one would and that would be pretty lame. That is part of the reason that Disney recently increased prices and suspended sales of the Southern California Pass.

It does seem to be true that right after the New Year, when most kids go back to school, the Parks aren't as busy as they are during Thanksgiving through Christmas... and Spring Break... annnnnnnd Summer... annnnnnnnnnd any major holiday in the in between time. *cough*Memorial Day*cough*

If you want to avoid the peak times, I would say January, February and March, also September through the week of Thanksgiving are slower than the peak times with the exception of the Halloween Parties.

If you REALLY want to avoid the crowds... Stay home and look at other peoples pictures on Instagram and live vicariously through them. Here is FSL's and mine(not all Disney though)... and Cove Bar Social Clubs

TRUE(ish)

#22 Count the Captain Jack Sparrows on Pirates of the Caribbean. There are usually three. If you have seen four, you might have actually seen Johnny Depp who sometimes hangs out in the ride in full costume for fun.

This one makes it seem like it happens all the time. I have never seen it... Nor has anyone else on the internet. No pictures, no videos, no really cool stories. After the 2006 referb Johnny Depp went ON the ride and got a close up interaction with one of the Animatronic Jack Sparrows, but he is obviously not in full costume. UNLESS that is an animatronic Johnny Depp and the real one is in the full get up in the barrel!

I am going to chalk this one up to Disney Myth and/or if you have seen 4 Captain Jacks... maybe you are just bad at counting.

FALSE

#23 There is a basketball court hidden inside of the Matterhorn.

There is.

According to a cast member, when you get signed off to operate the Matterhorn, they take you up to the fifth floor to sign the wall and invite you to shoot hoops. Some CM's decline...

The rumor of how the hoop came to be inside the 1/100th scale replica of the real Matterhorn is pretty funny. The legend goes that Walt wanted to get around Anaheim zoning laws limiting heights of buildings, by using a loophole that a "sports complex" was not subject to the restrictions. Put in a basketball hoop. BOOM! instant sports complex! Unfortunately, that story doesn't fit because those zoning laws didn't get on the books until loooong after the Matterhorn was finished. The truth is a little more mundane. The hoop was put in by the climbers who wanted a way to pass the time between climbs and bad weather days.
http://www.invisiblethemepark.com

TRUE

#24 At New Orleans Train Station you can hear morse code playing. It's Walt Disney's inaugural speech "To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future."

I will mark this in the close enough category.  99.5% of the Disneyland guests won't be able to tell the difference, but it isn't actually Morse Code, but Landline Telegraphy a.k.a Railroad Morse a.k.a. American Morse Code used by the railroads to communicate. Confused? Me too... but don't worry, just remember the term "Landline Telegraphy" and if some says it's Morse Code, tell them what's up and win the argument. Check this out if you want to know more...But why would you? You have already won the argument.

Also important to point out. It's not the full speech. The clacks and dots only tap out two of the first three lines from the speech.

There are some myths that go along the message. I have heard that the message was tapped out by Lillian Disney who was a telegrapher before she worked for Disney. This is where it gets good. Allegedly, the code was tapping out messages that were not quite guest friendly and Lillian was the one figured it out and changed it. Probably not true at all but I really like the idea of it.

TRUE 

#25 Richard Nixon's famous, "I'm not a crook" speech was given at Disneyland.

The speech must have been given in Washington DC or something, right? Apparently not. The Speech was given in a meeting room at Disney's Contemporary Resort at the Magic Kingdom. This is NOT a case I will mark in the "close enough" category. Nixon had

FALSE... but the truth is still pretty cool.

Is that it? Are we at 25?!?! Half way bitches! Today the record stands at 3 True and 2 False bringing the total record up to 19-5-1. Not bad!

Hope you all enjoying this as much as I am writing it. And by that I mean, NOT AT ALL! Haha! Just kidding. I am learning a lot. I just hope the information I am giving you is, at least, close enough to the truth that I can avoid internet persecution... Like... what I am doing to the jerk who posted the Silly Disney crap... Uggh.,. Circle of blogger... This may not be the best Disney Blog(I am trying to sound humble, you know as well as I do that this is the greatest), but what I lack in class, good writing and facts, I make up for with charm, adorability and great calves...

More tomorrow...Guns, unhappy kids(two of my favorite things), paint, friends of Dorothy and "rides"...

And as always... Stay Dorky!

-Jumba

P.S. Did anyone go to the Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event? From the pictures that I have seen and stuff I have read, it seemed to go really well! Everyone looked like they had fun. One thing I have to say about Disney. They do a great job changing and learning from their mistakes. The first 24 hour day was damn near catastrophe, the second they shifted some things and it was better and this last one they seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

P.P.S. Not a whole lot of pictures in this post... let's see what I can do about that!
Matt Mira and me on my birthday

Best day EVER!

Joey Fatone


No comments:

Post a Comment